You could be looking to earn money from home whether it is as a part time or second income or because you have childcare commitments, you are a student needing to fund yourself or simply because you have a few spare hours and you’d like to earn some cash.
What are the best ways to earn money from home?
Make money online
If you have a computer or a smartphone, there are a whole host of small ways to boost your pennies by working online.
You can get paid just to watch videos, write, search on Google, make your own YouTube clips and much more. Whilst each job that you do may seem like small pay, they usually are relatively quick and together they build up your funds.
A few tips to help you make money online are:
- Set up a dedicated email address solely for your making money from home scheme.
- Keep a spreadsheet showing work completed and earnings from each online company that you work for.
- Don’t expect to be earning £1000s straight away – you need to keep up to date with offers, work opportunities and you have to put the effort in.
- Networking with other people who are earning money online can be invaluable – try social media sites or dedicated working from home forums.
- If you are paid in gift vouchers – spend them ASAP or you may likely forget them!
Have a look at these sites to give you an idea: Matched Betting, Toluna, Swagbucks and Pinecone Research or simply input the following into your search engine: “earn money from home”, “making money from home”, “earning a second income” or “making money online”. You will be surprised as to the amount of opportunities that are out there.
Make money from your home
Film and TV companies are always looking for new locations to shoot and your house or garden may be perfect to earn you a second income, take a look at Shootfactory.
Do you have a spare room that you could rent out to a lodger or foreign student? If you have a room sitting empty and especially if you live in a large city or in a University travel area then you could be missing a trick by not renting it out. Renting out to a foreign student can pay around £80 per week so this can be a great second income but as with everything like this, you should investigate it thoroughly beforehand.
If you have room in your house or have a large garden then you may be interested in pet or plant sitting to make money from home. It is generally easier to belong to an agency, try Animal Angels, Nina’s Nannies for Pets or search for others local to you.
As a guide they can pay roughly £30 per day plus travel expenses. Bear in mind that some agencies like you to be available all of the time whilst others are more casual.
If you have a spare parking space or driveway, particularly in large cities, you could rent this out at a tidy profit. Take a look at Spacehopper.
10 other making money from home ideas:
- Earn a risk free second income by Matched Betting.
- Do some freelance work at PeoplePerHour.
- Start a professional ironing service.
- Sell unwanted items on ebay or buy a popular product wholesale and sell on at a profit.
- Offer a babysitting service – you will need to have references and be pre checked for this so you may find it easier to find work if you belong to an agency.
- Earn commission selling make-up, toiletries etc, try
- Become a mystery shopper with
- Take part in (safe!) medical trials: trials4us.
- Make money online selling your photographs at
- Get paid to write, enter data and more at
Once you start looking in to earning money from home you will be amazed at how many different opportunities are out there which can be rewarding, varied and interesting. Do your research thoroughly though and work out what will suit you best with the time that you are able to put in to it.